Monday, October 3, 2011

Books: Southern Sisters Murders

I forgot to say that I finished a book this weekend. It wasn't my Will in the World actually. Every time I go to visit my parents for a weekend or holiday, I read a different book or continue to read a book I had started last time I visited. So I was pleased to finish a very hilarious installment of the Southern Sisters Mystery Series by Anne George. If you have never heard of these books (not too many people have), you should give them a try. They are light, charming, funny mysteries that are a breeze and a pleasure to read. Anne George won an Agatha Christie Award for the series and is a Birmingham native.
The books all have funny, obvious titles such as Murder Runs in the Family, Murder Makes Waves, Murder Boogies with Elvis, and Murder on a Bad Hair Day. They revolve around two Birmingham sisters named Patricia Anne (or, Mouse) and Mary Alice (oft known as Sister) who are in their 60s and stumble upon murders and solve the mystery surrounding them. 
Like I said, they are light reading and really great for taking to the beach or any time you feel like a funny page-turner. Told in Patricia Anne's voice, allow yourself to bask in the sunny blend of manners and polite gossip that is uniquely Southern. And if you are at all familiar with Birmingham or other places in the South such as Fairhope, Destin, Chandler Mountain, Vulcan (with shining butt references), you will feel quite at home with the quirky characters. The quickly turning mystery plots and larger-than-life cast of characters make any of these books worth the read. Here's a convenient list for you of all the books in the series:

  1. Murder on a Girls' Night Out
  2. Murder on a Bad Hair Day
  3. Murder Runs in the Family
  4. Murder Makes Waves
  5. Murder Gets a Life
  6. Murder Shoots the Bull
  7. Murder Carries the Torch
  8. Murder Boogies with Elvis
Check 'em out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment